Thursday, October 14, 2010

This is Not a Barbecue!

So, we went to a barbecue last weekend at my son's pre-school, Stumptown Kids, ran by the amazing and hysterical Jenn, whom I will talk about more in a future post.

(Stumptown, for my readers who do not live in Oregon, is a nickname for Portland.)

The barbecue was a blast, but I think maybe Trey was a little tired.
There were lots of kids there. And trees to climb. And toys. And even a musical performance. Here is a picture of Macy's awesome piano teacher Sarah. (I'll tell you more about her later too!)
I thought Macy was having a great time. Here's proof, a picture of her with a new friend and a can of pomegranate soda.
Now's the time to mention that this was a vegetarian potluck. 

Meaning, the party host Jenn is a vegetarian and although it wasn't expressly spelled out on the E-vite, most of the attendees just knew to bring a meatless dish. 

In fact, I'm not even sure where I picked up the term "barbecue" to describe this party. But I must have used it and therefore set up an image in Macy's mind about what would be served at this shindig. Because she completely ignored the long table of covered dishes, and I realize now it was because she was holding out for the good stuff. The hot dogs and hamburgers.

So, after a couple hours of chasing tired Trey around, we decided to pack it in and leave. John grabbed Trey and headed to the car, and I found Macy right in the middle of a huge group of adults and kids.

I leaned down to her and whispered, "Macy, we're going to head home now." Wide-eyed, she threw her head back and shrieked, "What about the FOOD? Where's the barbecue??!!"

Quietly, I said, "The food is over there on the table, Macy. This is a vegetarian party."

With that Macy declared loudly, very loudly, "This Is Not A Barbecue!" And you could have heard a pin drop. Even the kids were embarrassed for me. 

So, we went home, grilled a hot dog, and caught the last 20 minutes of Mad Men. I'm KIDDING.



2 comments:

Grey280 said...

And from now on you'll explain the likely menu options beforehand...

Sounds like a fun 'barbecue,' at least.

Drew said...

Technically, you can grill vegetables, tofu and other meat substitutes. So the idea off a vegetarian barbecue isn't that far-fetched. :-)