Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Remember When Rubber Bands Used to Be a Circle

Ok, is this a nationwide phenomenon? This trading of Silly Bandz?

No, I did not hear about it from my own first grader. She never mentioned a thing about them. But kids at her school are trading them like crazy. Two heart bands for one sea-horse. Three cat bands for one glow-in-the-dark iPod band.

Moms are driving their kids to remote locations miles away to buy a hard-to-find series of bands. It's nutty.

I learned about the whole gig while volunteering in Macy's class, where I noticed several kids had armfuls of colored rubber bands in various shapes and colors on their arms. I put 2 and 2 together when I witnessed a trade take place before the bell rang. (In my opinion, Amanda got the better end of that trade. She's quite the saleswoman.)

Aside from a brief Madonna-worshipping stage in high school, where I might have been known to wear 20+ black rubber bracelets on my own arm, I have never seen such a craze.

So, I bought Macy some "silly bandz" of her own. At a pricey $2.99 for twelve.

I should have grabbed a handful of regular rubber bands from the junk drawer, because as it turns out, my daughter is not into free commerce.

"Thanks," was all I got. "Now I can stand in line with all the other kids at recess and trade them." She could not have sounded less enthused if I'd proposed going to the dentist to have a tooth pulled.

"Why didn't you tell me about this silly band business?" I asked her. "I could have helped you get some."

Basically, my daughter has not one iota's interest in trading bands, or wearing them. She half-heartedly brings her zip-loc of silly bands to school every day, but I have no knowledge of a single trade.

At least this takes care of that pesky line at the cross-bars during recess. Maybe there's still hope for the 2020 Olympics.

3 comments:

Melinda Hasting said...

hey, can you bring her leftover silly bandz when you come to austin? i have an art idea for them that y'all might like...

Grey280 said...

I have seen these things too. Not the trading though. Being given out by a friend, who can apparently get them free... I'm glad I dodged that bullet... Sometimes pop culture just seems stupid.

Unknown said...

I have to admit...Kevin is up to over 40+ of these SILLY bandz. He had friends over this weekend and that was just about ALL they talked about. I'll trade you this for that....how about that for this? Mommy had to make them "take a break" from trading :)