Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Calling All Male Drivers of a Lexus SUV

I got a new car (new to me anyway). And John inherited my old car. A 2000 Lexus RX300 with 160,000 miles and a ton of toddler wear-and-tear. Both of my kids enjoyed their toddler years in that car, and it has the imbedded crumbs and marker stains on the seats to prove it.

(I was able to remove the two-year-old princess stickers from the window and you can only see where they stained the tinting in the bright sunlight.)

So now John is convinced he's driving the 2010 equivalent of a red convertible Cabriolet. He swears he has never EVER seen a single man driving a Lexus SUV.

So, basically I'm asking for your help. I can see where this is heading and two new cars in one year is simply not in our budget. Either help me convince John he is even more of a man for driving such a girly car OR tell me if you've EVER seen a man driving a Lexus RX300.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Afraid to comment....... I know it would be nice for John to get a "new" car. Something about getting the hand me down just never sits right. I will say though....... I see men driving Lexus RX300's. I dated a man that had one. Hmmm.... "dated", just kidding John.

shellym5100@yahoo.com said...

I am afraid I cannot help you. My husband has to agree. We have an opportunity to buy a Lexus SUV in great condition from a
friend. Same thing, he says it's girly and wants me to give him our Volvo XC70, so I can drive the Lexus SUV. I am holding on tight to the Volvo keys.

Anonymous said...

We've had at least 3 Lexus SUVs and Scott drove them all while I drove the "Mom van". He still drives one. I know several men that do. I think they're sleek, sporty and sophisticated. To clarify, that's the car, not Scott.

Melinda Hasting said...

do you remember that gold rx300 i drove when we worked for csusa? loved it when the kids were still here. sadly, however, i don't believe i've ever seen a single dude driving one. but married ones, yeah. All the freakin' time. ;-)

Connor said...

OK, I am in the same situation as your son. I got the family RX300 from my mom last year. And I'm a guy. I love that car. It's black, so it looks really cool. I would understand your son if it was gold or white, total mom colors. But the black looks really cool. And he needs to realize it doesn't matter what KIND of Lexus he has, girls love it when they ask what kind of car you have and you say, "Oh it's a Lexus". Girls also LOVE Lexus RX300s for whatever reason. Don't buy him a new car, he'll learn. Trust me. And not many guys drive Lexus RX300s, he's right, but you stand out. EVERYONE has Honda Civics and Accords or Camry or GOD FORBID a Taurus for their first car. Tell him he'll grow to LOVE the Lexus, because I felt the same as him when i first got what I saw as just a "hand me down" but now i wouldn't part with it even for a new car. If he still doesn't like it, get it painted a really nice dark blue. RX300 looks amazing in that color.

Unknown said...

This has been posted three years ago, and I hope by now, John has learned to love the hand-me-down Lexus. I don't see anything wrong with men driving Lexus! I am man and I drive one, and like Connor, I love my ride. And he's right too that if he doesn't like he could have it customized, like painting the exteriors. Basil@LexusOfLansing.com