Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Homes Built in the 1920s are Old.

Here I am in Portland on a whirlwind tour of homes. So far I've looked at 22 houses and toured five schools.

Here are a few things I've learned.
1. I definitely am not groovy enough to live in Portland YET. But I am a very quick study.
2. Homes built in the 1920s are very old homes.
3. In the 1920s, it had not yet occurred to home builders, evidently, that 2 bathrooms would be a nice extra for a family with kids.
4. If the listing says "original" and it was built in the 20s, I can skip this house and move on.
5. Realtors are a quirky bunch.
6. The beautiful homes priced right in the best neighborhoods go fast. Darn it anyway.

To save you some time should you find yourself moving 3,000 miles away and looking for a rental home on craigslist, here is a dictionary of terms used to describe homes for rent and what these terms really mean:

"Lively" = Liberal use of bright colors not chosen for mass appeal.
"Eclectic" = Choppy and probably un-livable layout.
"Cottage" = Tiny.
"Comfortable" = Lived in, possibly down-right messy.
"Updated" = The house actually needs to be totally renovated but we didn't have the money so we made some minor improvements. Yep, the bathrooms are still small. Nope, no walls were moved.
"Family home" = This comment has attitude. It means, "This was our family's home and now it's up for rent and if you don't like it, don't rent it. I'm not going to do the hard sell."
"Newer" = Does not fit into the popular 'brand new construction' category, nor does it fit the also popular 'super old but renovated' category. Might have wood panelling.

Hey if you read my blog and like it, subscribe. It helps my search engine ranking and all of that. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it and so true! Enjoy your blog . . keep writing and keep me smiling!

Grey280 said...

Welcome to Portland. Come visit me, you know my address, and I'm smarter Han blatantly posting it online. E-spam is more than enough spam for me...
I still say that you're plenty cool enough to live in Portland. Just make sure you have a bike.
And my final statement in his far-too-long comment: been following your blog in Google Reader for a while now. SEO away!

Grey280 said...

Gah. I am incapable of typing 'than' on an i-anything-with-a-touchscreen. This is my spelling correction. I am not randomly referencing Star Wars up there.

Steven said...

Love it! I wish I could move out there. I was in Vancouver earlier this year. It was SO awesome! Good luck with your move.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Portland! You lucky gal...

And I love houses from that time period.