Monday, March 15, 2010

You Kids With Your Fancy Camera Phones

I'm sort of jealous of the younger set, with their fancy camera phones. Digitally photographing, if not video-taping, every single gathering and posting it on Facebook for all to see and comment on.

Back in my hey-day, you were lucky if one person thought to bring their camera. With a roll of either 12- or 24-exposure film.

And if that person made it to CVS within six months to develop said roll of film, you were even luckier. But only if it occurred to him or her to show you the pictures after they got them developed. Then and only then did you get to see an out-take of the event. The rest is up to your memory.

Maybe your friend got "doubles" and gave you a few pictures from your night out. So now you have a few shots of you and your friends huddled, shoulder to shoulder, with big smiles. With only 24 exposures, candid shots were few and far between.

The entire decade of my 20s is memorialized by a few blurry photos of groups of people posing for the camera.

And the older I get the more fun memories are slipping away. If only I'd had a camera phone, I could have snapped a few dozen candid shots. Then I could scroll through them every so often to "remember the good times".

1 comment:

melinda hasting said...

So true. I just found some old shots and was using my fancy camera phone to photograph the photographs and then using the mac to photoshop the glare out, then adding some special effects to give them that old-timey effect.

This is what hip old people do...