Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Well Then You Will Go To Jail!

My son has a mouth on him. And I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm told I had a mouth on me too, when I was younger. But I have it on authority from my Mother that my mouthing off never came close to Trey's. If it's true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, then I guess I have created a very big apple.

Here is an example:

Me:  Stop pulling on the door handle Trey. We're driving and it's dangerous. (Note: child safety locks were, gratefully, on.)

Me: Trey, I said stop pulling on the door handle.

Me: Trey, stop touching the door handle. Now.

Me: I said STOP ... (You get the drift, right?)

Me: Trey, if you do not stop pulling the door handle I will pull over and give you a spanking. (Note: I am not an advocate of spanking, but I thought this might be the moment to try.)

Trey: IF YOU SPANK ME THEN YOU WILL GO TO JAIL!

In the heat of the moment, Trey hits below the belt with shout-outs like:
"Well, then I will not be your special boy ANY MORE!" ... or ...
"If you do then I will never act cute AGAIN!" ... or ...
"No more hugs and kisses for you EVER."

As I fervently read every book I can get my hands on how to raise a "strong-willed child", I anxiously await the end of the "terrible twos" (Trey is actually almost four). And wonder if Trey will grow up to be a fantastic trial lawyer or ... something else.

I'll stick with trial lawyer for now and wait it out. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm betting on the lawyer too!!

Shelly Cox said...

Very funny, it is good to know that I am not alone in having a 3 year old with a mouth!

melinda hasting wheatley said...

this made me laugh out loud.

pat siebert said...

I liked reading your comments about you willingness to try methods that you have not tried in the past and that you like reading books on child rearing.
I have another one that will lead to different conversations than the one you wrote about. The title is Respectful Parents Respectful Kids. If you would like to talk about the concepts in this book I am opened to doing that. Melinda can tell you how to get in touch with me if you so choose. Peace.