Friday, January 15, 2010

You're Lucky I Even Try to Cook


I am not a great cook. But I think I am a good cook (operative word: I). An original, inventive, creative cook.

I like to try to mimic things I've tried at restaurants (operative word: try).

I often fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants and cook things without a recipe. Or cook a meal using just the items I happen to have on-hand.

A pomegranate I bought on sale that's about to go bad. Kale. Havarti cheese. Stale corn tortillas. Sesame oil.

Oh, and I use spices liberally. If a little ginger is good, a lot of ginger will probably be great! (Operative word: probably.)

Nothing like a couple of kids under 7 (and a picky eater for a husband) to cut you right down to size.

Trey: Yuck. I can't eat this.

John: It's good. No, I mean it. It's not bad. Seriously. I'm going to eat it. I just had a big lunch is all.

Macy: Mom, I don't want this to hurt your feelings, but I like things better that come from a can, or a jar, or the freezer.

The best is, when you're husband chokes down one of your meals. Then the next morning you see an empty cereal bowl next to the sink from the night before.

1 comment:

Jan Mader said...

I get a lot of empty ceral bowls too!

I'm a children's author and I stopped by your blog because I see you're an aspiring author. I've had my blog up and running for about a year. I post creative writing exercises that are quick and easy.

I would love to have you come visit. This year, I'm going to try to create a network of people who will write with us and even suggest fun activities.

In addition, I see you have a marketing company. I would love to talk to you about other possibilities!