Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

Come on, we all have them.

Do you want to know what mine is?

Yes, I do have a penchant for any reality show where a group of experts in their field (cooking, designing, dating, decorating, hair-cutting, you name it) compete in a variety of challenges (always with a whacky twist) and eventually get voted off, one by one, until there is only one person left standing and they are deemed the winner and then promptly forgotten about.

But that's not a dirty little secret. I freely admit to it and am consequently largely unavailable Monday-Thursday from 8-10 pm.

And it's not my love of sushi. Or wine. Or my kids. Or sleeping. Or Diet Coke. Or my refusal to regularly exercise. Or my chronic procrastination. These things I own.

There is just this one teeny weeny vice that I hide from everyone.

I turn on the heat. In July. Almost every single morning. I'm just so cold. 

Socks and long-sleeved shirts and jackets and blankets cannot warm me up in the mornings when it's 50 degrees outside. My Florida blood is just too thin. So, even though the cold usually burns off by lunchtime and many afternoons it hits 90 degrees, I still turn on the heat to warm up.

There. I said it.

What would my environmentally-savvy neighbors, friends, family and fellow Portland residents say if they knew that I routinely waste fossil fuel, in mid-summer, just to keep my toes warm?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely would need the heat at 50 degrees!!! Just remember you save on the other end by not having central air! It all evens out.

Anonymous said...

Get some meat on those bones little mama!