Saturday, November 28, 2009

I Am Organized to the Point of Dis-Organization

I am so organized. I have a labelled bin for everything. And a laminating machine to laminate my labels (lest they get damaged by a flood).

Sidebar: If you don't have a laminating machine, and I realize you probably don't if you aren't an elementary teacher or an Office Depot employee, you should get one. It is the best $25 you will spend and hours of fun.

So back to my dilemma. Despite my fervent organizational attempts, I still can never find anything I'm looking for.

Case in point, yesterday I needed printer toner. So I dashed to the bin labelled "Office Supplies" but of course it wasn't there. Twenty minutes later, after sifting through bin after bin, I found the elusive toner in the "Batteries" bin.

I need to find a copy of Trey's birth certificate for pre-school (actually, I've needed that damn certificate since August). It should be in the bin labelled, "Very Important Documents (in other words, this box should be a safe)", right? Nope. I've culled through 20+ bins and still, no birth certificate. I know he was born, I was there. And I'm certain they gave me some sort of paperwork to document the event. Now where is it?

Same with files. I've got dozens of labelled file folders organized alphabetically. But try to put my hands on my 2007 taxes, or a warranty, an important receipt or much less a phone number, and you can be bet your bottom dollar that said items will NOT be in their designated folder.

I've tried to instill my stellar organization skills on my family. But we are all chips off of one very dis-organized block.


2 comments:

Sean Ohlinger said...

Hah! I was organized once, now I am married, so I don't have to be :-) Whenever I need one of those "very important documents", I just ask Susan, "Hey Suz, have you seen my passport?". . .

Granted, MOST of our important documents are in a safe, all our bins are full of toys and in the kids' closets!

Ro Ryan said...

This is out of control Kari.