Monday, October 26, 2009

I Discovered Hot Tea and It Makes Me Happy


If you are a tea lover (and I was not until last week), you probably knew this already. If you are drinking hot tea made from a tea bag, then it is stale.

I stumbled into the retail franchise store www.Teavana.com (in the Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale) last weekend and $xxx dollars later, I left the store with a cast-iron teapot (adorned with fireflies, representing "new beginnings" ... who doesn't respond to that kind of promise?), fresh green and white teas in air-tight decorative tins (packed with anti-oxidants, of course), a glass stove-top tea kettle (to heat the water before you pour it into the other tea pot ... who knew?), a tea cup w/ a saucer (to complete the look) ... oh, and a Buddha statue (how could I not?).

Store manager Katrina carefully explained to me all the tea-making mistakes I'd been making all these years ... ie, watch water temp carefully when working with green tea to avoid bitterness, only cast-iron (and correspondingly expensive) teapots preserve the benefits of tea ... the list goes on.

Anyway, I rushed home to unpack and display my wares (see photo) and make a pot of tea. Totally worth it. The ritual of making a pot of fresh herbal tea for one in a beautiful Asian-inspired cast-iron teapot is, so far, everything it's cracked up to be. 10+ pots later, I'm in love.

No comments: